The draft is among us and this draft is very important for a lot of teams. The typical thought is in every draft if you can select at least three to four 4 or 5 year starters, your team is set up for success. Our reigning Super Bowl champs are a prime example of how the draft can lift you to lifting the Lombardi. Without further ado here is Big Play’s Mock draft… Oh Yea Let’s Go Gang Green, Draft Like A Jet! (At least like a New Jet no more Gholston picks please!)
1. Texans: Jadeveon Clowney DE, there’s rumors out there that Houston wants to trade, but do you want to be the team that passes on a once every 20yrs talent? Probably not!
2. Rams: Jake Matthews OT, bloodlines outweighs Robinson’s superior talent. Has any family put out more NFL talent?
3. Jaguars: Johnny Manziel QB, the staff wants Khalil Mack, my guess is the owner steps in to sell tickets. Also with the report that Manziel doesn’t want to go to Jacksonville would make for good trade bait.
4. Browns: Khalil Mack OLB, Pettine gets the guy on the outside Rex never could get.
5. Raiders: Mike Evans WR, Evans is big, strong, and with speed. It’s the Raider way!
6. Falcons: Greg Robinson OT, finally some protection for Matty (N)Ice (and Atlanta fans still wont be happy because it’s not Clowney and if Watkins is still on the board they would want him too)
7. Buccaneers: Sammy Watkins WR, the #1 WR hands down, and I know your thinking “If he is the best WR then why did the Raiders take Evans?” The Raiders also took Heyward -Bay over Michael Crabtree. Like I said, the Raiders Way! Watkins will be great across from Jackson.
8. Vikings: Aaron Donald DT, Zimmer gets his Geno Atkins
9. Bills: Taylor Lewan OT, more OLine help for young EJ
10. Lions: Odell Beckham Jr WR, We know the Lions have other needs (secondary!), but the shadow of Millen still looms, and finally Caldwell gets his 3rd WR to complete his Colts O… I mean Lions Offense.
11.Titans: Darqueze Dennard CB, the top corner to replace Verner
12. Giants: Zack Martin OT, TE makes sense but Eli needs protection, and an upright Eli will only throw 15 interceptions not 27.
13. Rams: Calvin Pryor S, reminds me of Earl Thomas, a hard hitter that is needed in the new black and blue division. The NFC WEST!
14. Bears: Timmy Jernigan DT, Bears were terrible against the run last year, he will help.
15. Steelers: Eric Ebron TE, Miller’s getting long in the tooth, so Pit drafts his successor. This is another team that has a lot of needs and getting younger is a huge need, but we all know historically the Steelers have been great in the draft.
16. Cowboys: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix FS, ball hawking safety which is much needed for Dallas’ awful back end. Message to Jerry Jones, resist every instinct to trade up for Manziel.
17. Ravens: Brandin Cooks WR, even with the acquisition of Steve Smith, Ravens still need some youth at the position. This will set up the Ravens with two speedy WR for the future (Smith and Cooks) and we know how Flacco loves the deep ball.
18. Jets: Bradley Roby CB, with Ebron, ODB, and Dennard gone Jets stay true to their board and take best player available at a position of need.
19. Dolphins: Cyrus Kouandjio OT, Miami lost a couple starters to their line, they start building it back with the OT from the Tide.
20. Cardinals: Blake Bortles QB, successor to Carson Palmer in 2 years, and remember Palmer was a QB that sat before he became a starter.
21. Packers: Justin Gilbert CB, tall, rangy guy should help in match ups vs Jeffrey, Marshall, and Megatron twice a year (a job I don’t envy).
22. Eagles: Kyle Fuller CB, with how Philly scores points it will force teams to play catch up, you need corners
23. Chiefs: Teddy Bridgewater QB, perfect pick for both the team and the player. Bridgewater could sit for a couple seasons behind the intellectual Smith and learn to maximize his strengths and limit his weaknesses, especially deciding gloves or no gloves.
24. Bengals: Jason Verrett CB, Can never have enough corners, when your D Line is that good you wont have to cover for long. Plus they are not ready to give up on Dalton… yet!
25. Chargers: Louis Nix III NT, A power pig to put on the front line, just don’t sport the Bolo.
26. Browns: Derek Carr QB. Browns try their hand at it again for a franchise QB, especially since Johnny Football is off the board, could we see a trade since Manziel doesn’t want to be in J-Ville?
27. Saints: Kelvin Benjamin WR, another big target to go along with Colston and Graham for Drew Brees
28. Panthers: Cody Lattimer WR, after gutting there WR core Carolina starts to rebuild it
29. Patriots: Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE, Belichick drafts a TE to pair with Gronk to hopefully have the same success he had with trigga man Hernandez. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the Pats trade up for Ebron or trade down for more picks.
30. 49ers-: Jordan Matthews WR, a big sure handed guy to groom behind Boldin, just don’t have him learn how to go get the ball from mediocre Crabtree (Sherman words not mine), and don’t learn how to go across the middle soft from Davis (Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor words not mine) and he will be fine.
31.Broncos: Ryan Shazier LB, if there’s one thing we found out in the SB, Denver needs more speed on D especially since you can’t draft more heart!
32. Seahawks: Joel Bitonio G, The champs draft a replacement for the disappointing Carpenter. Does it feel like the Seahawks are pulling a Marlins and blowing the team up to rebuild for a later run?
Follow Big Play @bprunsportsmenm